Due to the overwhelming response to the #watergateonline WHRN initiative the time required to go through all submissions will be longer than envisaged.
The reading panel hopes to get through this rigorous process in the coming weeks.
Please keep an eye on our social media for updates!
A play commissioning and development initiative from the Watergate Theatre, in association with award-winning Kilkenny theatre company Asylum Productions (Big Chapel X).
We are all stuck at home with lots to think about…
Now could be the perfect time to put pen to paper or finger to keyboard and start work on the great Kilkenny play!
We’re inviting writers and would-be writers to submit a play idea synopsis and a sample scene. The winning writer will be awarded a commissioning grant, support from industry professionals to complete the play, and in time, see the finished play in a rehearsed reading with professional actors.
Kilkenny is the setting and your play might relate to the seismic shift in the face of a global pandemic… or it might not. We’re wide open to your ideas.
The competition is for people of all levels of experience aged 18 and over.
The winner will receive:
- €1000 commissioning grant funded by the Watergate Theatre to support the completion of the play
- Bespoke mentoring during the writing process designed and delivered by a team of industry professionals and facilitated by Asylum Productions. This programme will be tailored to the winning writer’s specific needs and will include dramaturgy, directing, design, producing and technical supports.
- A 2-day workshop with professional actors, culminating in a public reading of the play at the Watergate.
Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday 22 May @ 5:30 p.m.
Joanna Cunningham (Watergate Theatre)
Donal Gallagher (Asylum Productions)
Medb Lambert (Asylum Productions)
Olga Barry (Kilkenny Arts Festival)
Anna Galligan (Barnstorm Theatre Company)
Maura O’Keeffe (Freelance Producer)
Terms and Conditions:
- Sample scene submitted must be at least 5 pages and not exceed 10 (A4 pages).
- Synopsis should not exceed 500 words
- Competition open to people aged 18yrs and over
- Previous experience in theatre or playwriting is not necessary
- All entries will be forwarded anonymously to the reading panel (i.e. with writers’ name and details removed)
- Commitment to full a production of the winning script cannot be guaranteed