There is a great volunteering tradition within theatre and, as a non-profit organisation, the Watergate Theatre has been welcoming Front of House Volunteers from all walks of life, to help provide a theatre experience to the Kilkenny wider community since….. Volunteers are crucial to the smooth and successful running of the Theatre and they are at the very heart of the Watergate Theatre family.
Who can be a Front of House Volunteer?
If you are aged 18+, have a warm, enthusiastic and welcoming attitude and enjoy meeting and helping people, you will fit right in at the Watergate. As the public face of the Theatre, it is important that you have a smart appearance and are respectful to patrons. Other desirable qualities include good spoken English, a professional but welcoming manner, an interest in theatre or the arts and good timekeeping. Volunteers are contacted through a WhatsApp group, so you need to have this app downloaded onto your smartphone.
What does a Front of House Volunteer do?
Front of House Volunteers usually carry out the role of Usher. Arriving 30 minutes before the show starts, they help meet and greet our patrons and be the welcoming face of the Watergate Theatre. Duties include:
- checking tickets,
- showing customers to their seats and
- assisting with customer queries or directing them to the appropriate member of staff.
Once everyone is seated and the show has begun, Volunteers can stay and watch the show (if a seat is available).
What are the benefits of becoming a Watergate Volunteer?
- You can learn and develop new skills in the area of customer service and learn about the theatre and arts industry, gaining useful experience for your CV.
- It gives you opportunities to meet lots of wonderful like-minded people and make new friends.
- You become an integral part of the Front of House team, enabling events to run smoothly.
- You can view a diverse range of shows
- Regular volunteers receive complimentary tickets (conditions apply).
- It is a great chance for you to give something back to your community.
We need our Volunteers to regularly volunteer for a minimum of two shows per calendar month. Shifts vary and you are free to choose the dates and times that suit you (please note the majority of shows are on weekend evenings). The Watergate provides Front of House training and ongoing support to its volunteers.
“I’ve been a volunteer with the Watergate for close to a decade now. I really enjoy it and would definitely recommend it. Being part of the volunteer team has exposed me to different genres of theatre that I might not otherwise have been able to experience. I love the work and I get to see some of the best theatre in the country as a reward for doing something that I love. It’s a win-win.“ Sabine
How to Apply
Thank you for taking the time to visit our website. If you would like to be part of the team that brings an important Arts and Community resource to Kilkenny and the surrounding area, please contact email@example.com or call us on 056-7761674!